For a septic tank to work efficiently the sludge (solids) needs to be removed on a regular basis.
How often you do this depends on the size of the property and the number of occupants.
However, most will require emptying once a year to maximise the available space.
Dyfi Waste can empty your tank for you or inspect it to look for problem.
Look after your septic tank:
- Don’t dispose of: commercial chemicals, medicines, disposable nappies, incontinence pads or feminine hygiene products down the wc.
- Don’t use large quantities of biological cleaning agents and bleach.
- Don’t hose down the baffles and media areas of the tank. It is important for the bacterial media to remain and restart the biological process.
- Do have the tank de-sludged regularly.
- Do take advantage of our Regular Service Discount Scheme rates. Call 01654 702682.
Problems and Remedies
Cause: Sludge particles leaving the septic tank and entering the soakaway, or sludge has blocked the exit and the tank is overflowing.
Remedy: Have the tank “de-sludged” or emptied. Call 01654 702682
Problem: System backing-up.
Cause: Blockage in the in-let pipe, blockage in the out-let pipe. Soakaway (gravel) blocked.
Remedy: Clear in-let and/or out-let pipe. Remove and replace soakaway gravel. Call 01654 702682
Problem: Tank refilling immediately after emptying.
Cause: High water table. Ground water enters the tank via the soakaway.
Remedy: Move tank to higher place and install a pump. Or install a reed bed system. Or install a cess pit, which holds all liquid waste too and needs emptying much more frequently. Call 01654 702682
Alternate cause: High water table: Tank ruptured allowing ground water to enter the tank.
Remedy: Clear and clean tank, inspect, repair or replace. Call 01654 702682